Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Education in 2025


Education in 2025 will be vastly different from education today. I see my classroom set up the same but each student has their textbook in their laptop- I no longer need that bookshelf. I see my students doing simulations on their computers to gain background knowledge at their own pace rather than passively sitting in their desks taking notes as a class. My students are collaborating online rather than frantically copying homework problems before I get to their desk. My students don’t need to bring their textbook, notebook, binder, or calculator every day. I don’t have stacks of paper on my desk to grade nor do I have a paper grade book to write the scores in. I don’t have post-it notes, extra pencils, jumbo pink erasers, or five million red pens. However, I do have computers, Pasco/Data Studio hardware, interactive textbooks, web 2.0 tools, and students that enjoy participating, collaborating, and creating. 

In the future I will keep all of my old labs that serve their purpose- but make the reports collaborative in a wiki. I will keep my old presentations- but record my voice over them and make them accessible to my students. I will keep my grading scale (92% tests, 8% everything else)- but modify my assignments and tests to better suit my learners. Examples of modifications include more computer-based simulations, collaborative problem-based projects, and discovery learning opportunities. I will focus more on problem-solving skills, the ability to communicate, technology skills, and creating a personal learning network. My job will no longer be to transfer the ever-changing science knowledge into my students and to test their ability to regurgitate the content; my job becomes empowering my students to discover and decide on their own and to prepare them to be contributing members of a technological society. 

Other than a large amount of professional development to prepare teachers for the technology available in the future, the biggest change I see for teachers and schools comes from the availability of data. I believe that the advancements in data collection and organization will enable politicians and administrators to make more informed decisions regarding student learning and teacher performance. This data collection and organization will lead to better allocation of resources and more effective teacher preparation and professional development.

There are two videos below that summarize what I believe will be the future of education. The first is of the “Science Storms” exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. The exhibit is interactive, exciting, truly engaging, and sparks curiosity in everyone present (especially with the giant Tesla coil hahaha.) All of the technology in the world can’t compare to the awesomeness of live demonstrations. I hope my classroom is even more interactive and exciting in the future- just as this exhibit is now.  The next video is an advertisement for interactive textbooks by McGraw-Hill. Notice how the books are available on cell phones too- not just computers! A year ago (and again last month) I sent information and the free trial to my department chair of the Kinetic Physics books that I got to try at the NSTA conference in 2010. We haven’t adopted them yet, but I’m excited because the change has to start at some point. Maybe it will start with me :D 



AllState. (n.d.). The Future of Science Education. Retrieved October 5, 2011, from YouTube.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_kEREMJbyk

MHEducation. (n.d.). McGraw-Hill Connect: Connect, Learn, Succeed. Retrieved October 5, 2011, from YouTube.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhpHEi8ILtc


No comments:

Post a Comment